Hashmi was arrested from his residence from Nazimabad last week over his suspected involvement in the murders of two police constables in night time. He was booked under murder charges and terrorism.
The MQM had decided his arrest and had staged a walkout from a Sindh Assembly session in objection. His custody also caused some parts of the metropolitan area to shut down.
His case proceedings were carried out in an anti-terrorism court and he was currently under police custody in remand until September 19.
A Joint Interrogation Team (JIT) was also constituted to investigate the case, headed by DIG Javed Odho (West). “We did not find him guilty him in the JIT,” he told The Express Tribune. “We still need to include two more suspects into the investigation,” he said. Hashmi is expected to hold a press conference today (Wednesday).