Gawar beans also known as cluster beans or bhindi Tori in Urdu . They have a distinct flavor and slightly bitter in taste than other vegetables. Gawar beans are first chopped and then cooked in spices and in the end mango powder is sprinkled for the best taste in lunch dish. This dish is served commonly in all summer season.
This vegetable is commonly available in pakistan and india and is served very much in vegetable dishes . Gawar ki phalli has low calories and full with nutrition. Cooking need little bit intensive because of chopped.
that add the flavor to this dish. This dish adds a little variety to the lunch or dinner menu. Gawar beans are thin flat pale green and about 2” to 3” long and have tiny pods inside. Gawar beans are crunchier than green beans and have a slightly tougher texture. They are widely grown in India. Young beans are harvested for vegetable use and the mature pods are harvested for the production of guar gum for commercial purpose. Gawar beans are low in calories and full with nutrition. Cooking this dish is little labor intensive because each bean need to be stringed and chopped, but the result is worth the effort. Gawar ki phalli are served as a side dish. Out of India cluster beans are available in Indian grocery store, both fresh and frozen.
1 Pound Gawar ki phalli
½ Teaspoon ajwaiin (carom seeds)
1 Pinch asafetida (hing)
1 Teaspoon mango powder (Amchoor)
2 Teaspoons coriander powder
½ Teaspoon red chili powder
½ Teaspoon turmeric powder
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon salt or to your taste
- Took the fresh Gawar beans and wash thoroughly . Take off the top of each bottom and top tip of the beans.
- Chop all beans into one inch length slices very well with sharp knife .
- Took a non stick frying pan using medium heat add 1 Tablespoon cooking oil and add carom seeds and asafetida and fry them for 2 to 3 minutes or until carom seeds are fried.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder and mix all the spices in the oil and fry for few second.
- Add Chopped beans or bhindi tori with spatula and add salt to taste and mix it very well for few seconds and pour a cup of water in cooking pan .
- Now cover the cooking pan on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until beans become tender.
- Check the pan after 20 minutes and if you find water in bottom of tendered beans than turn to stove to high so that water evaporates quickly. Once all the water evaporated, turn the heat down to medium.
- Sprinkle mango powder and 1 tablespoon oil over the tendered beans and mix and stirring it very well. Fry thebeans for 2 minutes one side then turn it to other side till the spices becomes brown.
- Now your vegetable dish is ready to serve.