The first step for getting a driving license in Abu Dhabi, one should must has to be under the required age for their respective vehicle driving license.
Minimum Age Requirements for different vehicles driving license in Abu Dhabi.
Individual customers, citizens and residents, who are above the legal age and medically fit, are eligible to get a driving learning permit and apply for a new driving licence. The minimum age requirement to obtain a driving licence depends on the vehicle, for which you are obtaining the licence. The minimum age requirement is as follows:
- 17 years for motorcycles and for vehicles for people with special needs
- 18 years for cars and light vehicles
- 20 years for heavy vehicles and tractors
- 21 years for buses.
Most importantly, people from 32 approved countries, including the US, UK, Germany, France, New Zealand, Japan, Australia, and China, are automatically qualified for UAE’s driving license.
However, non-approved countries like Pakistan, India, and the Philippines, must complete the required process.
Required documents and procedures
Documents required to open a traffic file include:
- Copy of passport and residence visa page
- Copy and original emirates ID card
- 2 photographs
- Eye test report
- No objection letter from the sponsor (if required by the related traffic department).
Procedures followed to learn car driving includes:
- Opening a traffic file in one of the registered driving centres in the related emirate
- Conducting an eye test at any centre approved by the traffic department
- Completing all required driving classes
- Passing all tests set by the related traffic department
- Obtaining a driving licence from the traffic authority.
- Apply for a Light vehicle driving licence– Ministry of Interior
- Apply for a driving licence in Dubai– RTA Dubai
Renewal of driving licence
Driving licences are renewable for 10 years for UAE and GCCC citizens and 5 years for residents. Renewal of driving licences is available online in most of the emirates. To renew your driving licence, you must settle all your traffic fines. A fine of 10 AED per month will be levied on customers who delay the renewal of their driving licence for more than one month.
How to Apply for newly Driving license through the mobile app
First-time driving license applicants must complete the following steps:
- Take an eye test at either Yateem or Al Jaber opticians.
- Upload a copy of their Emirates ID and the eye test report on the Tamm app.
- Pay AED 200 ($54) to a customer service executive at Tamm.
- Install the UAE Pass app.
- Wait for approval, after which they’ll be asked to go to Emirates Driving Company.
The validity of a driving license depends on the driver’s age and status:
- For new drivers or those under 21, the license is initially valid for two years.
- After renewal, the license is valid for 5 years for ex-pats and 10 years for UAE and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) nationals.
Driving Classes for New Applicants
To obtain a valid Abu Dhabi driving license, new drivers and those unable to transfer their home country license must complete the following steps:
- Take theory and practical classes.
- Pass the driving test.
When opening a file with a driving school, the following documents are required:
- Copy of passport.
- Original Emirates ID plus a copy.
- Two photographs.
- Tamm app file number.
- Letter of no objection from the sponsor.
- If an applicant is 18 years old, their guardian’s documents and a no-objection letter are also required.
- Emirates Driving Company offers multiple options for obtaining a license. The total cost will be subject to a 5% VAT and a 1-time exam fee. Below is the table showing details of theory classes:
|Course Option||Course Duration||Number of Theory Classes||Fee (AED)|
|Regular||4 days||8 (2 per day)||830|
|Intensive||2 days||8 (4 per day)||1,050|
|VIP Silver||1 day||2||1,530|
- Here’s the table showing details of practical classes:
|Course Option||Course Duration||Lessons per Day||Total Lessons||Fee (AED)|
|Beginner Level – No Experience|
|VIP Silver||6 days||3||18||3,705|
|Intermediate Level – 1-5 Years of Experience|
|VIP Silver||5 days||3||15||3,145|
|Upper-Intermediate Level – 5+ Years of Experience|
|VIP Silver||4 days||3||12||2,755|
Applicants from non-approved countries are also given a golden chance to take written and practical tests before any classes. If the applicant passes these tests, they’ll be given a driving license. Upon failure, they must attend the classes.
Driving License Fee
A 1-year driving license costs AED 100 and is given to applicants under 21. For people aged over 21 years, the fee is AED 300 with 5-year validity.